Cogent is a multinational Tier 1 Internet Service Provider consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world. Our primary service offering consists of Internet access and data transport, offered over our award-winning fiber optic, IP data-only network, along with colocation in any of our 52 Internet data centers. We service two customer segments: "Corporate" (small businesses to Fortune 100 companies) and "NetCentric" (Carriers / Service Providers and Application / Content Providers, whose businesses rely primarily on Internet access).
Our innovative, facilities-based network spans across North America, across the Atlantic throughout Europe, and across the Pacific to Asia. With over 57,400 route miles of intercity fiber and more than 32,900 metro fiber miles, we provide service to over 202 major markets and interconnect with over 6,580 other networks.
Cogent was founded on the premise that bandwidth can be treated like a commodity—produce mass amounts and position it for sale based on price. Leveraging new technologies, we built our own IP data network independent of the traditional voice-based networks owned by the RBOCs (Regional Bell Operating Companies). By doing so, we believed we could reduce the cost of high quality bandwidth down to a level never before offered in the marketplace. Less than five years after lighting our network backbone, we have become widely recognized as one of the largest carriers of Internet traffic in the world.
Cogent Communications is a public company trading on the NASDAQ under the symbol CCOI. Cogent is headquartered in Washington, D.C., United States of America.
- Ethernet Services including: point-to-point, hub and spoke, and full mesh Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Competitive price points and a global, Tier 1 network
- Fast installation
- DIA, Ethernet Services, IP Transit, Colocation
- Offers dedicated symmetrical connectivity, fiber-based Ethernet technology, and reliable service backed by local customer support centers and an industry leading Service Level Agreement (SLA)
We stand apart from our competitors in many areas, but key differentiators include:
- We offer high compensation
- Our prices are the lowest in the industry
- Our diversity from traditional carriers enables redundancy for customer data
- Our simple network structure allows for rapid provisioning
- Our ‘self-healing’ ring architecture design minimizes outages
- Cogent is Smart Business Internet